Thursday, November 02, 2006

One Year Totally Blootered!

Unbelievable but true, exactly one year ago i started to write my blog and talk about WoW and the adventures of Thulf on Argent Dawn (EU). Quite a long period, how time flies by. But don't worry, I'll not bore you with a lengthy retrospect. If you want to celebrate with me, send Thulf some booze. :)

During the last days i started to do some major updates to the addons i use. The process is not finished and I'm still tinkering around with some of the new ones and have a handful i would like to try out. I'm thinking of switching a handful of mods to Ace2 compatible ones. Especially as I'm thinking about getting rid of CTRA and use oRA2 instead. The mods i updated so far:

Ag_UnitFrames
I got rid of Discord UnitFrames. I'm still a believer in the Discord mods however, it's just that i don't need any fancy functions for my units and wanted to try a new look. Ag_UnitFrames is minimalistic enough for my taste, provides easy to switch layouts and is based on Ace2. I like it - hope I'll find the possibility to change some things. I already tweaked the layout to my liking. The mod also provides frames for target and target's target, in addition you can use custom raidframes if you want. A nifty addon for this mod is aUF_RangeCheck, as it dims out players that are not in range.

Elkano's BuffBar
I switched to buffbars from the small icons. Now all buffs/debuffs show as small bars in a list. At the moment they're sorted by time/name, but Pater from Elitist Jerks made some nice suggestions to change the sorting eg. after standard raid buffs first, then blessings and then the rest. As a warrior i would like to have Battleshout on top. If Elkano won't provide an update for the mod, i might hack the changes to the list after Pater's idea myself... if it starts to bug me too much.

Simple Combat Log
Offers a better combat log, by optic and filters. Makes it much easier to crunch some numbers and test things. Or just to know quickly what's going on and why you're dead. ;)

XRaidStatus
This one replaces my CTRA RaidStatus window. XRaidStatus is much more configurable and I can decide which infos to display, in addition it adds a nice buff-check which can be useful to test if all buffs are applied properly.

Why do i fiddle around with my mods again that much? This has different reasons. One reason is that i realized some mods are real memory/CPU hogs and i would like to tone it down as much as possible. Another reason is to still use a minimalistic interface, but display/access as much info as possible. Last but not least, CTRA is a nice standard raid package for most, but since quite a while now not the best possibility and eg. bossmods like BigWigs are far better. So I'll try to get rid of it completely while not loosing the connection to others that use it and not losing functionality.

So what have i been up during the last days? Well, i worked some more on my DPS gear and got me new rings: Seal of Jin & Band of Earthen Might. In addition i started to work on my CC reputation, as I'd like to access some of the better field duty items, but so far I'm only honored... as i never bothered. I'll also try to join more raids to AQ20, as i decided my warrior would look great with two Sand Polished Hammer. =)
You know Gamon? If you play horde, sure you do.. hes the poor cow in the inn in Ogrimmar everyone is beating on. Would be interesting to see some statistics how often he dies per day. How about being nice to him and take him out for a walk: Gamon Kiting 101. Or how about some intellectual Corpse graffiti?

This post should be worthy of a jubilee, at least from the length... enjoy.

8 Comments:

At 2/11/06 18:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the first year, Thulf! Hopefully there will be many more to come ;)

 
At 3/11/06 02:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grats from me as well Thulfie!

Since I don't play anymore I have much more time for forum trolling, so I'll make sure to check back here regularly ;)

Seems you're doing great gathering DPS gear, although I find it rather shocking as well. I mean, I'll always remember you as a tank *winks*

Enjoy, and keep up the good work!

Regards,

Slmns

 
At 3/11/06 11:41, Blogger Thulf said...

Ah well, for the moment it's fury/prot.. will most likely stay like that at least until the instances get harder in TBC with higher level. Then I'll decide depending on the circumstances... :)

 
At 3/11/06 11:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's certainly nice to have a PvE choice, and warrior flexibility makes it possible. Quite unlike, for example, warlocks. All they are required to do is Pew pew pew :)

 
At 3/11/06 14:41, Blogger Thulf said...

Yeah.. with the upcoming possibility to summon players to meeting stones without a warlock, probably better you quit Sal... locks won't be needed anymore anyway. *ducks*

 
At 4/11/06 03:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*obligingly chucks a rock at Thulf*

 
At 6/11/06 12:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, over the year nearly a thousand repair costs! Go you!

 
At 6/11/06 13:14, Blogger Thulf said...

Yeah, if i count in that i did not raid seriously for maybe three or four month (or similar) during the year, it seems repairs are quite an ok money sink. *grins*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home